Chicken Lettuce Wraps
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry, white wine of Shaoxing wine
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Combine the soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar and salt in a bowl and stir well to dissolve the cornstarch.
- Place the ground beef in another bowl and separate it big clumps. Add about half the soy sauce mixture, and gently mix the seasonings into the ground beef, using your hands or a large spoon. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To cook, heat a wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the vegetable oil to coat the pan, and them toss in the ginger and the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, tossing once, until fragrant but not browned.
- Crumble in the seasoned ground beef, break it up and spread the meat out over the hot pan to help it cook evenly. Let it cook until it changes color on one side, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss the meat just enough to turn the uncooked side onto the hot pan, and let it cook another minute undisturbed. Then toss well, using your spatula to break up any large chunks. When the meat is cooked, add the red pepper flakes and green onion, and toss well, Add the sesame oil and remove from the heat, tossing once more to mix everything well.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Arrange lettuce cups on a serving platter, and fill each one with a spoonful or two of the cooked beef. Or provide lettuce cups and the serving plate of beef and invite guests to make up lettuce packets themselves.
Wow I haven’t posted any recipes I’ve tried since December, huh? Well actually to be honest, I haven’t really done much cooking when winter term started ::nervous::. Fear not, I’ve been trying some stuff out lately haha! I don’t post up recipes I dislike after trying so although I did have some others that I’ve tried and took pictures of, I won’t be posting it up. Sorry about the bad quality of the picture ::GAHH::! I just took the picture I put onto instagram because I never took pictures with my camera.
I was going to try out a recipe that uses hoisin sauce instead but, lo and behold, I ran out on the day of LOL. This recipe turned out good though so I’m glad! I used ground chicken instead of ground beef like the original poster. I wanted ground chicken to try out this one recipe and after that my mom kept buying these. I’m running out of ideas as to what I could make with it haha ::sweat::.
It says to use some pepper flakes but I also skipped that because my brother can’t really handle hot stuff. Still tastes good without that so up to you if you like eating lettuce wraps spicy or not. I think it would be even tastier with chicken thigh fillets cut into small pieces instead -drools-.
I think this is a good easy recipe to do when you don’t feel like eating side dishes with rice. Or when you don’t feel like putting in too much effort and time into cooking a delicious tasting meal! Also a good one to eat with family or a group of friends because they get to ‘make’ their portion themselves and get them more involved? haha!