Thinking up what to cook sometimes is pretty hard. Nowadays my mom usually asks me what to defrost from freezer and then I’ll use that as a springboard to see what recipes I should try out on that particular meat. This time I got chicken wings! Usually we do soy sauce, honey garlic or ketchup, but I wanted a change in taste and I chanced upon this Coca Cola Chicken Wings recipe.
Coca Cola Chicken Wings
500g chicken wings
¾ cup Coca-Cola
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbs Chinese rice wine
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 stalk spring onion (scallion), chopped
A pinch of freshly ground blackpepper (optional)
1. Chop all the wings at the joint and marinade them in half the soy sauce for 15 minutes
2. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat with vegetable oil
3. Once the oil is hot, place the wings on the pan and sear it for 5 minutes on each side
4. Pour in the rest of the soy sauce (and marinade) to the pan
5. Add Chinese rice wine and Coca-Cola before lowering the heat to a simmer
6. Simmer the wings for a good 20-30 minutes or until all the liquid has reduced to a glaze
7. Add a few cranks of black pepper and sprinkle spring onion for garnishing right before serving
Don’t mind my ugly picture of it LOL!! Obviously I’m not a good photographer.
They tasted delicious and my family agreed, but we’re all still disappointed so we can’t give it full marks! Actually, my grandma told me that one of my aunt has cooked chicken wings with Coke before and she said my grandpa loved eating it. When she made it though – if my grandma remembers it correctly – she never used soy sauce along with it. Now I’m curious about that because when I was looking through the recipes, I think they all had soy sauce in the marinade?? I’m kind of tempted to try it again sometime without any soy sauce too or else not very much.
Another thing is that for some reason the sauce never turned into a glaze : ( LOL. Well, I guess it’s not that important because the stuff definitely soaked inside at that point, but I was waiting and waiting…
Ah well, it still tasted good, but I’ll probably either try using significantly less soy sauce, none at all or just not add the Coke in next time >< haha!